DEFROST is one out of three Nordic Centres of Excellence (NCoE) that in 2010 were granted for a five year period under the Nordic Top-level Research Initiative (TRI) and its largest subprogramme on "Interaction between climate change and the cryosphere.
The TRI has its background in a declaration stated by the Nordic Prime Ministers at a 2008 meeting in Riksgränsen. The overall goals of the TRI is:
- To establish a coordinated Nordic effort towards research and innovation on climate, energy and the environment
- To develop collaboration between research and innovation organisations and institutions in the Nordic countries
- To act as a platform for further international collaboration.
We are in the NCoE DEFROST working towards these goals with the specific objectives:
- To improve our understanding of arctic terrestrial and shallow sub-sea permafrost interactions with climate
- To provide improved data on energy exchange, carbon cycling and GHG emissions from terrestrial and near-coastal cryospheric environments
- To improve on climate model capabilities for simulating the feedback processes associated with observed changes in permafrost, snow and ice Av
The Top-level Research Initiative six sub-programmes.
Click on the pictures to read more.